Welcome to Sail! 🙂
Here is our guidelines and Terms of Condition when joining a trip.
We share what we love to do.
Sailing is an active experiment learning new things, getting close to people and living under the forces of the nature. Our teaching method is Try-and-Learn, where everyone will have a chance to challenge themselves and act as active member of the team. Knots, sails handling, navigating and steering are just a start of it. With us you are in safe hands to learn skills in relaxed cruising and will spend great time at islands.
You join as a Crew
- Join with good attitude & cheerful mind. I think there’s no reason to explain that…
- You join always as a Crew Member, no matter what type of trip it is.
This means certain tasks, especially on longer trips, above and below deck: cleaning, cooking & food services, rope- & sail handling, navigating, steering etc.. We will always guide and teach you, there will be no need to do anything alone.
Depending on the type of trip, there may be fewer tasks to do. All the tasks is nothing but to ensure clean and safe environment and handling of the boat where each Crew Member may participate.
- Things to take? More detailed here but shortly here:
- Sunglasses and sun cream
- Little snacks/ food
- Warm clothes
And for longer trips, also:
- Towel and swimming pants
- Soft bag (avoid hard-covered suitcases)
- Head light with spare batteries
- Sheets for bed, pillow and a sleeping bag
- SIGN IN your details well before the trip. This makes our job easier when preparing and need to contact you in urgent matters. (each person must sign in their details and comprehend these guidelines).
- We cannot guarantee 100% safe environment for strictly allergic or hypersensitive people. This is due limited space in the boat. We can, however, take into account of small limits in food (allergies) if treatment is not severe and you let us know about it early enough.
- Sailing is safe and much enjoyable when prepared well – in the basics, it is an extreme sport. In a good weather it doesn’t feel much, but in more rough weather skill, experience and preparation suddenly plays a big role. Enjoyment and comfort is one part of safety as well. Please read carefully info we provide below when joining any trip.
PAYMENT / SUPPORT FOR THE BOAT
- Pay the the support-fee as we have agreed before the trip. (Details for transfers).
- We do not have a Charter Company or other organization beyond. We offer Crew Positions as individual persons based on fair amount of shared contribution and support on voyaging, which is legally very different to Chartering business.
- You always join with your own full responsibility. We take no claims on accidents or any type of losses (expect where a good seamanship and the international maritime legislation puts the skipper meet responsibility towards his Crew), even though we face them with a good heart should a thing ever happen (incidents never happened).
- Shared contribution within (non-commercial) yachting crew is a common practice among cruising communities. You can read about it i.e. at the Crew Seekers. What we ask for the contribution, is fairly reasonable. (you can check official charter boats in Finland here or here).
- Private Voyage can be requested through Doerz Community or directly contacting us. We are also happy to exchange a trip to any value you may have (movie doc of us, honey, volunteer effort etc.).
- Check our Doerz page for details that we need to know for arranging a trip for you.
- Cancellations: Arranging a trip brings us always costs, sometimes even a week before. These costs include i.e. food for crew, port fees, excessive supply, excessive cleaning & maintenance, travels to port for a pick-up, voyage planning etc. These costs are always higher compared to us cruising alone. Therefore we request a Reservation Fee upon we agree so. This is simply because if we agree to cruise with you and put our effort into it, we expect you to value this. Sum of the reservation fee may change depending on the trip type, normally ”half-of-price”.
- If we need to cancel the trip due weather (wind, ice) or immediate engine failure (or relative), we may agree on alternative dates without additional reservation fee. We are no responsible for the Crew for any losses due change of plans, i.e. travels to the boat.
- Weather reservation: hard wind (or ice during winter) 14 m/s or over will delay/cancel the trip (8m/s for children and if larger group). This is a good reference but the final say is always on the Skipper – he may cancel/stop the trip at any time due any safety related concerns.
Facilities and Food
- On long trips, we serve (commonly prepared) well tasty & delicious vegetarian meals (breakfast, meal, evening snack + snacks/lunch). For shorter trips (1 day or so), we always agree the services on each trip separately. Often we do ”common table” where everybody brings food for cooking. It’s best to tell if you need us to cook for your team or not before requesting a trip, since this affects on the price we give you. Families are best to supply their children with food that they like (we’re not a restaurant even though food is brilliant with raw-cakes and cups of tea).
- It’s good idea to have own snacks and little bit fruits (”emergency food”) always with you, no matter what kind of trip are you joining (cooking may be delayed due winds rarely).
- We prepare food always together on longer trips.
- We serve & cook only vegetarian food in the boat. Please note this when bringing food / own snacks in the boat. (However, you may bring a little bit of meat if it does not need to be cooked in the boat’s kitchen).
- There is a little cute toilet in the boat. Due limited waste tank capacity we have during over night trips the nature or harbor facilities as our best sanitary. It’s much like when hiking in forest.
- WASTE MANAGEMENT: We follow ZERO-WASTE -ideology on the boat as much as possible. That means that we do not gather any litter from the Crew in a common rubbish, since we do not have one (or yes we have but extreme limited in space!). This means you maybe have to save most of your litter with yourself if you bring any wet litter or thrash i.e. with your food on the boat. This is a test into how less rubbish can we commonly invest in during the sail. However, we may in the contrary clean the environment by gathering rubbish from the sea and islands.
SAFETY & ORDERS
- The boat is our home and common space. We respectfully request everyone stepping on our boat to understand and value this.
- We enjoy freshness: we do not smoke, snuff or use any other intoxicants or substances on boat. Smoking is littering and bad for other life around, also on islands we visit. On longer trips, if these things are absolutely necessary for your survival, respect the nature and collect your thrashes away and use your own travel-type close-able ashtray.
- We care and love: Alcohol is nice to enjoy at the sauna or island after sailing. At the Sea, however, the use of alcoholics is restricted. Please do not bring festive amounts of own alcoholics on the boat without our separate agreement to do so (a few beers for sauna and meals are o.k.!)
- During cruising, all the responsible related the boat and voyaging is on the Skipper. You are, however, responsible on your own condition and understanding these guidelines and/or other commands during the trip.
- The boat is easy to handle also by the Skipper alone. Follow guidance only as you understand them and notify the Skipper if you are uncertain of the plan!
- We reserve the right for any changes to the plan, route, schedule etc. due weather or compared reasons, also after the trip has started.
- When cruising, please note that life-vests or any other safety orders and gear are mandatory to wear, any time when requested or conditions require so. There are life-vest for all crew (few sizes for children too – contact for details) and we provide sailing gloves as well for you.
- You participate and are in the boat within your own responsible. The contribution does not cover insurance for crew.
- We photograph & may film our voyages and keep the right to use the photos in public i.e. on our social media, on our web pages, publish on magazines or on any other media. Please let us know if you absolutely do not want to be presented on the photos or videos.
- When coming to sail, we assume you are familiar, follow and understand these guidelines. We have the right to remove any person who’s more than once not following the guidelines or requests of the skipper to the nearest or next harbor, by the full cost and responsibility of the removed person. Weather estimation is on the shoulders of the skipper – rain is rarely a reason to cancel the trip by us!
- Whenever misunderstanding or disagreement should arise, we always try to find beautiful and harmonic solution for all parties (consensus solutions) so that relationship with people and nature could stay pure. Not such a situation came up yet, where this would not have been the case.
- Welcome to sail! I hope you enjoy the trip and get a lot of it! There will be life vests and sailing gloves provided for loan in the boat. Else how, equip yourself with warm clothes, cheerful mind and.. let’s go to find a treasure! 🙂
Sailing – Sharing – Safety – Beauty & Art in the world!
Thank you for the interest – each voyage is unique and an adventure on the hands of the Creator!
-Jasper / Captain